This is a guilt buster for me: I can't give up chocolate cake, so I'm (making it work for me ;) looking at the reasons why it's OK not too:
- It's a carb, which is fuel and helps your metabolism.
- Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which slow aging and relax blood pressure, among other things.
- If you incorporate occasional treats into a diet, you're more likely to stick to that diet.
- If you bake the cake yourself, you can add grains such as flax and bran, or fruit and veggies such as applesauce and zucchini, which will increase health benefits.
- Cake can be frozen, so it's a treat you can make or buy and eat small portions of, without fear of waste.
- Chocolate has been linked to increased serotonin levels, which acts as an antidepressant.
- Chocolate contains theobromine, which is a stimulant similar to caffeine.