TenGone On Twitter

Monday

Homemade Granola Bars

Here's what I've been doing lately, as a healthier alternative for myself and my kids. Rather than buying granola or cereal bars, I've been making them myself. Although the store bought ones are very convenient if you're counting calories, the homemade ones can be so much healthier.

Here's my recipe. Quantities are approximate, and you can vary the ingredients slightly as long as you have the main elements in place:

Main ingredients (provide the foundation)

3 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup liquid honey

Additional ingredients (add nutritional punch and flavour)

Vanilla
Cinammon

1/3 cup each: raisins, chocolate chips, quinoa, wheat germ, flax, coconut, sunflower seeds, etc...


...and so on. You could add all kinds of nuts as well but I don't, because nuts are not allowed at my kids' school due to allergy concerns.

Basically you mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the oil and honey, and stir until combined. Press the mixture flat into a greased 9x13 pan. Cook at 350F for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares while still warm but leave them in the pan - don't remove them until completely cool or they'll fall apart. Once they're cool, I wrap them each in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge. 

Yum :)

TenGone Home ('DiggThis’)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |

What I've Written About