TenGone On Twitter

Saturday

Making Healthy Choices For Quick Snacks

I had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about boxed cereal. She loves it, because it's "quick and easy". The problem she has with cereal, though, is the fact that it uses up too many of her diet's daily points all at once.

This got me thinking about the "quick and easy" aspect. I'm not on a points based diet plan - I count calories and exercise. I too love quick and easy food. I have two kids to chase around (part of the exercise ;) and a house to de-chaos, so quick and easy works for me. I think many people are in the same boat.

I also think that for many people, quick and easy amounts to high calorie/additive and low nutrient food. Anyone can buy the ingredients for a salad or stir fry, but if you're starving, you want something right now.

The solution, then, would be to have a stock of right now foods that are also healthy. Here are some ideas...

  1. bananas
  2. cheese strings
  3. grapes
  4. granola bars
  5. yogurt
  6. apple sauce
  7. raisins
  8. apples
  9. whole grain crackers
  10. homemade whole grain cookies
  11. carrots
The list is endless, but you get the idea. If I come home and am absolutely STARVING, instead of pouring some high calorie sugared cereal into a bowl, I'll grab a banana instead. The health benefits are much greater, and it tames the hunger monster long enough so that I have the patience to make the salad or stir fry.

What healthy right now foods are in your kitchen? I'd love to hear more ideas!



TenGone Home
('DiggThis’)

3 comments:

  1. My favorite quick snack: deli roast beef and swiss cheese with a little mustard. Perfect amount of fat and protein but low on carbs. Eat it on some crackers and you're good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good!!! Especially the part about leaving out the bun to reduce the carbs. I'll have to remember that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added you to my blog roll! Love your URL name! I have had much success with WW but have been gaining/losing my last 10 pounds forever. I really enjoyed this post.

    Hope you'll check out my crazy blog. I am taking drastic steps to take off my 10 pounds by my 40th bday!
    http://theskinnyjeansproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Share |

What I've Written About